Hello and welcome! Just a Pinch is a space centered around real food and real talk. I write a lot about the importance of following your gut (both literally and figuratively!) In 2015, I quit my job, moved from Washington D.C. to Seattle, WA, and continued on my most exciting journey to date: becoming a registered dietitian nutritionist.
Changing careers and moving to Seattle was the best decision I have ever made. I am my happiest, healthiest self and I can’t wait to see what the future holds! For more posts on my career change, please see this page.
- I am in the second year of the MPH Nutrition/GCPD program at the University of Washington. Until August 2017, I will doing rotations as a dietetic intern in the inpatient and outpatient clinical settings, the WIC program, and food service and nutrition management sectors. At the end of my dietetic internship, I will have completed 1,200 hours of supervised practice and will be eligible to sit for the RD exam.
- In September 2016, I began a 9-month Leadership in Adolescent Health (LEAH) Fellowship through the Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at Seattle Children’s Hospital, ranked #5 in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Through LEAH, I will receive 300 hours of leadership and didactic training, focusing specifically on interdisciplinary collaboration and clinical care in adolescent health.
- Throughout my time at UW, I have worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (RA) for the UW Center for Public Health Nutrition and the UW Department of Global Health. As an RA, I did primary and secondary data collection and analysis, co-authored manuscripts for publication, did extensive literature reviews, and co-authored a final report for the Washington State Department of Health.
- I am also on the board for the Greater Seattle Dietetic Association (GSDA)
My role will never be one of the food police; instead, I hope to teach you the skills and confidence to make decisions that are best for your body and mind. We can learn a lot from recognizing our own needs, and I hope to inspire a shift in focus away from how/what/when we eat, to how we feel when we eat. I will never, ever talk about dieting. This is not a space where you will find quick fixes or nutrition remedies. Instead, I promote intuitive eating, self-compassion, and positive body image and thinking.
What You’ll Find on Just a Pinch
Just a Pinch is an ever-evolving space where I share information about my life in Seattle, the highs and lows of graduate school, and snippets of evidenced-based nutrition information. There is a lot of fluff on the internet about various nutrition claims, and I know from personal experience that it can be hard to discern fact from…well, BS. On Just a Pinch, I am committed to only sharing evidenced-based nutrition information. The beauty of the field of nutrition is that it’s also ever-evolving; however, when I discuss a topic that hasn’t been well-researched, I will make sure to disclose what the emerging research suggests.
My favorite posts
- Graduate School Update // Big News!
- The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
- One year in Seattle
- Why gluten free does not equal healthy
- If we were having coffee [#2]
- Let’s talk nerdy: the ins and outs of protein supplementation
On a more personal note…
My diet is not “perfect”, but it is perfect for me. I eat a lot of healthy fat, drink whole milk, and indulge in treats. Staying physically fit is how I relieve stress and calm my mind, and I enjoy motivating others to find a daily time to sweat. I am a certified spinning instructor who could spend all day in a café with a warm cappuccino and good company. Macaroni and cheese is my favorite meal, and I am happiest outside with my camera in hand. More questions? FAQs here →
Questions? Interested in working together? Contact me:
Blog design: Tickled Pink Theme by Restored 316.