Hi friends! I wanted to pop in to share my absolute favorite salad right now. It’s something that I try to create weekly, and the batch typically lasts me between 4-5 meals. I get all the ingredients from Trader Joes, but you can easily find each of these at your regular grocery store!
This salad is silly easy. I realize that it’s probably not even blog-worthy, but a few of you have asked for this recipe since I rave about it to anyone who will listen 🙂
Baby kale (or regular kale) is my favorite bulk salad base. It’s a wonderful source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It keeps me full, and best of all: it doesn’t get soggy! ← Soggy salads are the absolute worst, am I right?!
If you’re turning your nose up to kale, just hear me out! It’s all about the massaging. Prior to building this salad, I massage a bag of baby kale with the juice from 1 lemon. What does that mean exactly?
Throw the baby kale into a large bowl, squeeze one lemon into the bowl, and literally massage the kale with your hands for 1-2 minutes. McKel from Nutrition Stripped wrote a really great post on how to massage kale.
Massaging kale will take away some of the bitterness, which is the primary reason some people don’t like it.
- 1 bag baby kale (I use a 10-oz bag from Trader Joes)
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 large cucumber (chopped)
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 1/4 cup raspberries or pomegranate seeds
- 1-2 avocados
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1-2 lemons
- 2-3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Empty the package of baby kale into a large bowl. Squeeze 1 lemon into the bowl and massage the kale for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and raspberries.
- Right before serving, add the feta, avocado, and dressing*.
- *I encourage you to play around with the dressing proportions. If you like your dressing more acidic, add more lemon and less tahini. If you LOVE tahini, add more tahini. If you like it more sweet, add more maple syrup. You get the picture 🙂
If you end up making this salad, let me know what you think! Happy Tuesday!
- What is your favorite salad ingredient?
Do you like kale? (Me: kale, yeah!)
Do you meal prep?