Happy Belated Mother’s Day weekend! The weather in DC today was stunning. I took advantage of my free afternoon and biked to Georgetown (grabbed ice cream) and then headed home. My mom and I couldn’t spend the day together, but I was sending her lots of love from DC!
In honor of Mother’s Day, I made a special brunch of eggs, turkey bacon and….crêpes! My mom bought me a crêpe pan for Christmas a few years ago and I was excited to finally use it. Once you get the hang of it, crêpes are actually pretty easy to make. That being said, I had a few ‘trial’ runs before finally nailing down the technique 🙂
What you’ll need:
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup water
-1 cup milk (if using regular flour, only 1/2 cup)
-2 tablespoons butter (melted)
-crêpe pan (similar here)
The batter will need to sit in the fridge for a few hours, so if you’re planning on making these in the morning, prepare the batter and let it sit overnight in the fridge (or get up really early and make it ahead of time!)
To prepare the batter:
1. Mix the eggs with the flour using a hand mixer.
2. Gradually add the milk and the water to the batter. Beat until smooth.
3. Add the butter.
4. The batter should be fairly translucent and similar to the color pictured below. Because the whole wheat flour is thicker than regular flour, you may need to add in more milk. As a reference, crêpe batter should be thinner than pancake batter.
5. Once the mixture is ready, cover and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
6. Once chilled, remix the batter to even out the texture.
7. Prepare the crêpe pan by adding a thin coat of butter. Heat the pan to no hotter than medium heat.
8. Pour 1/2-2/3 a cup of batter onto the pan (the more you add, the bigger your crêpe.)
9. Using the crêpe stick, spread the batter in a circle trying to eliminate any holes.
10. Test the edges to make sure the crepe is ready to flip and cook both sides evenly. Then, the fun part comes in – toppings!
11. My 3-Ingredient Mixed Berry Jam and Nutella was the perfect cross between sweet and tangy. It may look like a mess, but it was SO good.
11. Top with a little powered sugar.
12. Take a huge bite and enjoy!